· The rise of sail transport for a different world economy http://goo.gl/8xW1k
· The Food Movement in Flux: When a Good Idea is No Longer Enough http://goo.gl/cTfvo
· D.C. Officials Want Tap Water At Inauguration http://goo.gl/3y0b8
Officials in the District of Columbia are asking Congress to serve tap water instead of bottled water at the presidential inauguration…
· ‘Big Soda’ Splashing Bucks To Defeat Sugar Tax, Richmond California http://goo.gl/8xCMj
· Food Waste: Americans Throw Away Nearly Half Their Food, $165 Billion Annually, Study Says http://goo.gl/Vfemj
o Maywa Montenegro’s Food Waste Linkorama http://goo.gl/zg1mv
· Toronto’s largest city farm to be announced at urban agriculture summit http://goo.gl/S0vHa
· One In Five Americans Can’t Afford Food: Report http://goo.gl/a1u3F
· The Spanish Robin Hood http://goo.gl/vf5fS
When Juan Manuel Sanchez Gordillo led a farm labourer’s raid on a supermarket he was redistributing wealth to the poor. You’d expect nothing less from the mayor of the communist utopia of Marinaleda
· San Francisco: Farmville, for real http://goo.gl/qjdFk
I there a future for urban agriculture in San Francisco?
· Celebration to commemorate Petrell Hall Sept. 1-2
1911 Finnish ag community built their Petrell Hall, now they are celebrating 100 years…
· Purslane: Making the Most Out of the “Weeds” in Your Garden http://goo.gl/Dr6h4
· Swimming in seafood ratings – but what’s the real impact? http://goo.gl/f609L
· National Museum of American History, Food: Transforming the American Table 1950 – 2000 http://goo.gl/C2oRP
· Looking for Kids’ Books? Avoid This Propaganda http://goo.gl/xYEl8
Did you know that genetic engineering (GE) “is helping to improve the health of the Earth and the people that call it home?
I have posted on this one before, with school starting it is showing up again…
Oakland Headed for a School Food Overhaul
o Akron, OH will provide free lunches at middle schools and high schools http://goo.gl/ueNEU
o Portland (Maine) Schools to stop selling soda http://goo.gl/pZSQz
o 80 Percent of Public Schools Have Contracts With Coke or Pepsi http://goo.gl/fM2Mq
o Palm Scanner to Pay For School Lunch at Moss Bluff (LA) Elementary Has Parents Up In Arms, Call It ‘Mark of the Beast http://goo.gl/yFTCj
· Pioneer (Joel Salatin) in Sustainable Agriculture Shares His Vision of the Future of Food http://goo.gl/xpMvn
· Food Industry Ditches Trans Fates, Kids’ Cholesterol Levels Drop http://goo.gl/zGhvw
· Don’t box me in: The Unstoppable growth of CSA-style produce delivery http://goo.gl/8SFnZ
· The man know when you’re lying about honey http://goo.gl/zr5aM
· It’s really hot out there…
o A helpful compendium of all of the recent stories about our friend the drought http://goo.gl/b1Qra
o The US Drought and Global Hunger: What We Know and What We Don’t http://goo.gl/WVdhV
o Cuts blamed for death caused by devastating Spanish wildfires http://goo.gl/6ZDIT
In the worst year of fires for nearly two decades, a reduction in rural firefighters is held responsible for loss of life and landscape
· Gifting an Epic Dinner in the Desert at Burning Man http://goo.gl/RnXgW
· The Wonderful World of Semifreddi’s (SF Bay Area Bread Co.) http://goo.gl/bTuAr
· Furry Friends and Feathered Foes… Is Your Pet Safe? http://goo.gl/Xp484
… Since 2007, the FDA has been conducting an investigation into pet owners’ claims that chicken jerky treats imported from china have been the cause of canine deaths – more than 600…
· Quinoa Documentary, ‘The Mother Grain,’ Hopes To Tell The Story Of Ancient Food Source http://goo.gl/KD7pU
· GDAE Report: Resolving the Food Crisis: Assessing Global Policy Reforms Since 2007 http://goo.gl/sU7w9
· Let Salt Just Be Salt: Amagansett (NY) Sea Salt Co. http://goo.gl/IGLI9
· Aquaculture growth: The “double-edged sword” http://goo.gl/WVpDL
· Chinese Labor Activists Get Shut Out, but Won’t Shut Up http://goo.gl/ufdVk
· CIW: Chipotle’s food movement charm offensive will not go unanswered! Food With Integrity? http://goo.gl/nFdgt
CIW, Fair Food activists to attend Chipotle’s upcoming ‘Cultivate’ festivals in Chicago, Denver, highlight company’s ‘Chipocrasy’ when it comes to human rights…
· Hostess’s Final Offer is Anything But Sweet http://goo.gl/Ohqze
· Independent call on Hershey to address child labor http://goo.gl/O7yHB
US candy brand Hershey’s faces a fresh campaign demanding that it should embrace fair trade principles and reject the use of child labor.
· Co-op milk price freefall halted (Ireland) http://goo.gl/N8EKY
· From Greenwashing to Workerwashing http://goo.gl/wrie6
McDonald’s and Coca-Cola prove capitalism can co-opt anything… even worker uprisings.
Occupy, Anonymous & Protests
· Vandana says “Occupy the Seed”: Join the Seed Freedom Fortnight f Action, 2-16 October 2012 http://goo.gl/Jsy6k
· SavetheArtic: Greenpeace Activists Occupy Arctic Oil Drilling Platform http://goo.gl/IHmZX
· USDA panel gets altered-crops pay plan http://goo.gl/A8mS9
… The draft (policy) suggests using taxpayer-sbusidized crop insurance to compensate (organic) farmers whose crops have been contaminated (with GMOs)… Emm, we are going to pass along the cost of GMO contamination to the taxpayers, not to the producer of the GMO cultivars??? Bad deal al the way around…
· It’s All About the Farm Bill
o Nebraska Drought 2012: Ranchers Lose Hope Aid will Come In Time http://goo.gl/69c1g
o Catholics urged to lobby Congress on behalf of food stamps, other programs http://goo.gl/Ft0bd
o Trimming food stamps is the callous approach http://goo.gl/xRsNt
· Feds Playing Politics With Food Safety Is Enough to Make You Sick http://goo.gl/zGhvw
· 12 New GM Crops Up For USDA Approval http://goo.gl/xqYTy
· USDA Forces Whole Foods To Accept Monsanto http://goo.g l/2d3qF
Remember, Whole Foods, United Natural Foods Inc. (UNFI)
· Top 10 Lies Told by Monsanto http://goo.gl/rLoMN
· CFSS: Oregon State Court of Appeals Decision to Stay Planting of GE Canola in the Willamette Valley http://goo.gl/DTuiW
o Oregon Farmers File Suit to Prevent Destructive (GM) Canola Planting in Willamette Valley http://goo.gl/d9pCf
· Prop 37 Solution to Walmart’s Untested, Unlabeled, Toxin Spliced Corn http://goo.gl/HTWMX
o ‘Big Food’ girds for California GMO fight http://goo.gl/6CDWj
o Millions Against Monsanto Come Out in Support of California GMO Labeling Ballot Initiative (Prop 37) http://goo.gl/aFqWL
o Why GE Labeling Is Monsanto’s Worst Nightmare http://goo.gl/sdoOL
o Boycott the Organic and ‘Natural’ Traitor Brands Who Parent Companies Oppose Your Right to Know http://goo.gl/UJzqJ
· Argentina convicts two over illegal agrochemical use http://goo.gl/JPuLB
It’s all about Roundup Ready Soya…
· Indian Parliamentary Panel Slams GM Crops http://goo.gl/AJw0y
o India’s State of Maharashtra Revokes Monsanto’s Cotton Seed License http://goo.gl/UGTWD
· Turkey slams door shut on GM food http://goo.gl/8d6uT
· Brazil court convicts Monsanto for false advertising of GM soy and glyphosate http://goo.gl/gv8C8
· Big Chem, Big Harm? http://goo.gl/xmefk
New research is demonstrating that some common chemicals all around us may be even more harmful than previously thought…
Healthy/Humane/Safe Food & Water?
· Farmers feed cows candy to beat rising corn prices http://goo.gl/FUXwy
Our industrial food system is now cannibalizing itself…
o Cows Fed Candy Instead of Corn Kentucky Ranch Affected By Drought http://goo.gl/qh7P2
· Coca-Cola takes on city over health campaign http://goo.gl/ajM2O
· The Truth About Fracking http://goo.gl/GFrGN
o New York to Allow Fracking; State to Provide Guidelines After Labor Day http://goo.gl/Oek9l
o TV Ad Challenges Fracking Industry http://goo.gl/tV6kD
o New York Fracking Protest Urges Cuomo To Ban Controversial Drilling http://goo.gl/RtdcQ
o Amending Michigan’s Constitution to Ban Fracking http://goo.gl/MM60c
· USDA Eyes Whether Tainted Beef Entered Food Supply http://n.pr/RcJp8h
o CA Lawmakers Ask USDA to Reopen Slaugherhouse Shut Down for Inhumane Treatment (of cattle) http://goo.gl/70Nhk
· High Drug Resides Found at California Meat and Dairy Operations http://goo.gl/ABY4w
Violators receive FDA warning letters
· New Homesteading Fair in Lowville September 8-9 Offers Opportunity to Learn Back-to-the- Land Skills
Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE) of Lewis County in conjunction with Mother Earth News is responding to the increasing numbers of people inquiring about raising backyard poultry, beef, and other livestock, food preservation, energy alternatives for homes and farms, and back-to-the- land management skills with a new educational event. A Homesteading Fair will be presented at the Maple Ridge Center in Lowville, NY, September 8 and 9, 2012.
This two-day event will offer more than 90 educational workshops, held rain or shine, under large tents.
The hours are Saturday 8am-5pm and Sunday 8am-4pm; the first workshops begin at 10am each day and breakfast will be available at the American Maple Museum booth starting at 8am-11am each day. Each workshop is 45 minutes long with a 15-minute break giving participants ample time to get to the next workshop. All workshops/demonstra tions/Do- It-Yourself projects are included in the admission price.
Parking at the Homesteading Fair is free. The public can purchase a one-day-only or weekend pass to attend their choice of workshops. Admission is $10.00 per person, or $15.00 for a full weekend pass. Admission for children 17 and under is free. Homesteading Fair tickets can be pre-purchased by calling CCE Jefferson County at 315-788-8450; also see www.counties. cce.cornell. edu/lewis/ for locations to purchase tickets. Workshops will incorporate raising backyard poultry, gardening, food preservation, solar and renewable energy options, developing forestland and maple woodlots, small farm machinery, and raising livestock such as beef cattle, sheep, goats and hogs.
"Information on homesteading skills is something people are asking for. This new event is a great opportunity for individuals and families to learn and to purchase the equipment and supplies they need to get started. This venue is perfect for families interested in the opportunity to learn more about a sustainable lifestyle at an all-day educational event held in conjunction with, Mother Earth's International Homesteading Education Month," says CCE Lewis County Executive Director Michele Ledoux.
Course instructors include Jean O'Toole of the New York State Beef Industry Council; Cornell Cooperative Extension Northern New York Regional Local Foods Specialist Bernadette Logozar, Field Crops Educators Mike Hunter and Joseph Lawrence, and Livestock Specialist Betsy Hodge, and Nutrition Educator Cathy Moore; beef producer Steve Ledoux of Adirondack Beef Company; and Dr. Deanna Fuller, D.V.M. of Countryside Veterinary Clinic.
Workshops will be held in a large, approved, kitchen and former barns, and on the expansive lawn at the Maple Ridge Center. Livestock shearing and wool spinning are among the many planned demonstrations.
The Pratt-Northam Foundation has provided funding support to spark this event. Cornell Cooperative Extensions of Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Clinton, and Franklin Counties, the New York State Beef Industry Council, Lewis County Farm Bureau, American Maple Museum, Countryside Veterinary Clinic, Lewis County Maple Producers Association, Lowville Tractor Supply Company and others are providing program support.
Homesteading product vendors and food concessions will be on site. For more information or tickets, contact Cornell Cooperative Extension of Lewis County at 315-376-5270. For lodging information, Like us on Facebook at http://goo.gl/fpzSq
More Information:The Homesteading Fair Solar and Renewable Energy workshops include: Small wind energy options, solar for your farm, recycling on your farm, and other energy workshops.
The Homesteading Fair Gardening workshops include:
Food preservation, vegetables, harvesting and storing herbs, canning and freezing vegetables, bread baking, and more.
The Homesteading Fair Livestock workshops include:
Nutrition, forages, health, fleece and fiber, spinning and weaving, electric fencing 101, meat cuts, pasture management, and raising and managing sheep, beef, goats and hogs.
The Homesteading Fair Small Farm Machinery workshops include:
Small tractors under 100 horsepower, soil heath, spreaders, rototillers, beekeeping, brush hogs, small square balers, round balers, hoop houses, building a cold frame and kitchen gardens, composting, information on planting small acreage field crops, and more.
The Homesteading Fair Raising Poultry workshops include:
The first steps to a backyard flock, EZ build chicken coops, poultry breeds roundup, turkeys, ducks, nutrition, predator protection, pastured poultry, egg production, electric fencing 101, health, equipment: feeders, nest boxes, and more.
The Homesteading Fair Maple and Forestry workshops include:
Making maple confections, woodland and sugarbush management, maple syrup production for the beginner, creating healthier woods for wildlife, and more.
Contacts: CCE Lewis County Michele Ledoux, 315-376-5270
· National Poverty Summit, September 21-22, Washington, DC http://goo.gl/gults